When you’re on vacation, you want the best point and shoot 35mm camera. There is not a moment or detail of your trip that you want to miss. So much can happen, and things change at every moment. For that, you need the right camera in your hand.
The best point and shoot 35mm camera must have a balance of quality, style, controls, and ease of use in order for it to be consistently used by consumers. The 9 best point and shoot 35mm cameras I found that meet these criteria are:
- Olympus Stylus Zoom 140 QD CG Date 35mm Camera
- Canon Sure Shot Tele 80 35mm Camera
- Olympus Stylus Epic Zoom 80 QD CG Date 35mm Camera
- Canon EOS Rebel GII 35mm Film SLR Camera Kit w/ EF 35-80mm Lens
- Kodak F350 Advantix APS Camera
- Pentax IQ Zoom EZY-R 35mm Zoom Camera
- Halina Ansco Pix Flash 35mm Film Camera Vintage Point & Shoot Focus Free (Pix Flash)
- Minolta Freedom Zoom Explorer 35mm Camera
- Halina Tegra AF290 35mm Film Camera Compact Point & Shoot
Having the best camera is the only way to capture every moment of your trip. The camera that goes on every trip with you is important. With the right camera you will create memories you can treasure forever. So, what is the best point and shoot 35mm camera you can find? Keep reading to find out.
The challenge you come across is that there are several cameras out there that fit this description. You need one that is reliable and can travel around as much as you do. After reviews and research, the list below has been created to help you. These are the top 9 point and shoot 35mm cameras that I have found. Don’t leave for your next vacation without one.
What Are Point and Shoot 35mm Cameras
A point and shoot 35mm camera is a basic SLR level camera for a non-professional photographer. These cameras are best suited for people who don’t want to mess with all of the settings on the camera and are happy with auto features.
These cameras are known for providing very good auto modes and scene selections which make it easy to take pictures. It will automatically set your exposure, aperture and shutter speed so you don’t have to worry about being a great photographer in order to capture a special moment.
A point and shoot 35mm camera has a fixed zoom lens attached so you don’t have to worry about carrying extra lenses with you. It is light weight and easy to carry.
My Related Travel Articles:
Helpful Tips When Choosing The Best Point and Shoot 35mm Camera
As you consider which of these best point and shoot 35mm cameras to buy, there are important things to keep in mind.
Quality: Cheaper models will have less features and may not be as high-quality as others. They will be better for beginners though.
Style: Consider if you want a newer style or a vintage camera as both are easy to find on Amazon.
Viewfinder: These are not featured on all cameras but are helpful for better framing of shots.
Shutter speed: Having more control over shutter speed means you can adjust lighting better.
Flash: Beware of the flash as it can be a drain on the battery if running full time.
Why Should You Buy A Point and Shoot 35mm Camera
Digital cameras and smartphone cameras seem to be the go-to these days, but many photos end up staying on the divide. With an old-fashioned 35mm camera, you get to put your images in a scrapbook or frame.
They will be around for you to see without endless scrolling. There is something to be said for film photography and the memories it creates. Here are reason to choose a point and shoot 35mm camera over your smartphone.
1. Point and Shoot 35mm Cameras Have A Larger Sensor For Better Image Quality
Point and shoot cameras have a larger sensor which gives a clearer and better image quality than your smartphone. If you zoom in on your photos on your smartphone, you will notice a lot of grain and noise in the details. This is due to the smaller image sensor in your phone. The larger the sensor, the better-quality picture you will have.
2. Point and Shoot 35mm Cameras Have A Better Optical Zoom For Better Close-Up Pictures
Optical zoom found in a point and shoot 35mm camera is better than digital zoom found in smartphones because optical zoom gives you an accurate portrayal of what you are taking a picture of instead of digitally resizing what the lens sees in a smartphone.
3. Point and Shoot 35mm Cameras Are More Rugged Than A Smartphone
If you drop your smartphone a lot or get it wet, it can ruin your phone. Especially if you have an outdoor lifestyle. Most point and shoot cameras are more rugged and designed to resist drops, water and dust.
Having a dedicated camera will keep your phone safe, dry, and fully charged.
4. Point and Shoot 35mm Has More Camera Controls
There is no comparison that taking a picture with a camera is better than using a smartphone. Having all of the dials and settings to personalize the picture, makes for a better image quality. Being able to adjust the ISO, shutter speed, zoom, and flash, will give you a better exposure every time.
What Is The Best Point and Shoot 35mm Camera
1. Olympus Stylus Zoom 140 QD CG Date 35mm Camera
Dimensions: 4.7 x 1.8 x 2.6 inches, weighing 8.6 ounces
- Clamshell, durable barrier for protection
- Small and lightweight
- Multiple flash options for different backgrounds
- Need a tripod to use nightscape mode
- Rewind action is loud
For a small camera with a powerful zoom, The Stylus Zoom 140 from Olympus is your best bet (found on Amazon). You get multiple flash options and red-eye reduction. Film is automatically loaded and rewinds when finished. Autofocus makes sure you get a clear image, even when the main subject is not centered. Great for outdoors, inside, group pictures, and telephoto close-ups.
The best feature of the Zoom 140 QD CG is the variable flash that helps create natural tones. Taking pictures at night has also never been easier. The flash slows shutter speed allowing for both the foreground and background of your picture to be properly lit.
2. Canon Sure Shot Tele 80 35mm Camera
Dimensions: 128 x 70 x 57 mm, weighing 11 ounces
- 38/80mm dual focal length lens
- High precision autofocus
- Durable casing
- Short battery life
- Bulky in size compared to other compacts
This straightforward and easy to use 35mm from Canon is the perfect travel companion. The dual focal length lets you capture detailed close-up pictures and wide landscapes. The viewfinder makes finding and detailing images easy and there are simple operation modes for easy use.
The LED lights up when your image is clear and ready. The multi-function flash comes with red eye reduction. When you need to get in the picture, the ten second timer is ready to go. You also get a one-year warranty from Canon.
3. Olympus Stylus Epic Zoom 80 QD CG Date 35mm Camera
Dimensions: 2 ½ x 4 ¾ x 1 ½ inches, weighing 6.3 ounces
- Lightweight and compact size
- Range of flash options for different settings
- Self-timer for when you need to get in the picture
- Difficult to open battery compartment
- Being full auto, means you have little control
Olympus is a top name in cameras and The Stylus Epic Zoom is one of their best for travelers at a cheap price (link to Amazon). This model is the latest in their Stylus class. Film loading and rewind is automatic, and it comes with date imprinting on your images. Small enough to fit in any bag, you can use this camera for up close selfies with loved ones and panoramic views.
It comes with an all-weather protective case and camera strap. Signal light lets you know when the best picture is ready to be captured. This is one of the smallest zoom cameras with compact autofocus allowing you to get all the pictures that make perfect memories.
4. Canon EOS Rebel GII 35mm Film SLR Camera Kit w/ EF 35-80mm Lens
Dimensions: 5.7 x 3.6 x 2.5 inches, weighing 13 ounces
- Compatible with the Canon line of EF lenses
- Includes carrying strap for easy portability when on the move
- Great for kids and beginner photographers
- Need to wind film manually which takes time
- Tripod not included but required for better quality night and landscape photos
An affordable and reliable option from Canon, the EOS Rebel GII has 11 exposure modes you can capture the best picture anywhere you are. Easy to use and a great camera for novices. The Amazon reviews for this camera were the best on the list. Red-eye reduction is built in with the flash and shutter speeds of 30 to 1/2000 seconds guarantee great shots.
Multiple shooting options available including close-up, sports, full auto, bulb, portrait, and landscape. The camera is heavier than other compacts but still easy to take on all your trips. Accessories such as a body strap, lens cap, and body cap are included.
5. Kodak F350 Advantix APS Camera
Dimensions: 3.9 x 1.4 x 2.4 inches, weighing 10.1 ounces
- Simple to load film
- Easy to change print formats
- Pop-up flash unit that activates when needed
- Focus is not as crisp and clear as other options
- Up close pictures with poor lighting do not come out well
Kodak is another of the top name in photography, and the F350 is a top buy on Amazon for a reliable 35mm point and shoot camera. The fixed-focus lens prevents moving parts by the lens that can get damaged during use. This camera lasts longer because of this feature.
This is an ideal camera for kids or active individuals. The Advanced Photo System provides three settings to choose from. Take panoramic, normal, or group photos everywhere you visit. The film drop-in feature prevents the risk of damaging the film before images are taken. Film advance is automatic and the autofocus feature is one of the best for pointing and shooting.
6. Pentax IQ Zoom EZY-R 35mm Zoom Camera
Dimensions: 4.7 x 2.9 x 2.1 inches, weighing 7.9 ounces
- Durable but lightweight and easy to carry
- Power-off feature for when not in use
- Mid-roll rewinding and automatic rewind at end of film
- Technological features may not be ideal for beginners
- Button to capture images gets stuck sometimes
For a camera that fits in the palm of your hand and one of the cheapest 35mm cameras on the list, try the Pentax IQ Zoom. It also slides right into your pocket to go wherever you go. You can choose to take long distance scenic backdrops with the infinity landscape mode. Or zoom in up close for selfies with your friends.
This intelligent camera makes shooting long distance easy with the optimal zoom function. Don’t worry about red-eye because a reduction mode is included as part of the automatic flash. Several flash options available including daylight, bulb, and slow shutter synch. Back lighting is automatic when taking pictures in dim lighting.
7. Halina Ansco Pix Flash 35mm Film Camera Vintage Point & Shoot Focus Free (Pix Flash)
Dimensions: 5 x 2 x 2 inches, weighing 9 ounces
- Hand strap included to keep it securely attached to you
- Fixed shutter speed of approximately 1/100th second
- Affordable option with lots of features
- Must be wound manually
- Batteries not included and need to be changed frequently
- Lightweight plastic cover can crack if dropped
This is the perfect camera to have on hand for any vacation and any event. It is easy to use, the cheapest camera on the list and perfect for beginners too. The bright flash allows you to catch the sharpest images. You can also take a picture anywhere you go.
You get a 28mm lens and the camera comes with a lens cover switch and a hand strap to keep it securely in your hand. The fixed apertures make sure that you get a clear picture in every location, every time.
8. Minolta Freedom Zoom Explorer 35mm Camera
Dimensions: 4.8 x 1.8 x 2.6 inches, weighing 15.2 ounces
- Preset exposure
- Great Autofocus and focus-hold options
- Panorama switch
- Lens zooms out in steps
This highly affordable camera on Amazon comes equipped with features you see on more expensive options. Minolta offers quality and reliability in this compact travel camera, and it is great for vacations and active adventures. It is easy to handle and great for traveling.
It has an ISO range from 25 to 3,200 making it better for low light situations. Keep track of the photos you take with the date-time stamp that prints on each one.
9. Halina Tegra AF290 35mm Film Camera Compact Point & Shoot
Dimensions: 5.7 x 3.7 x 2.4 inches, weighing 8.5 ounces
- Automatic film transfer
- Carrying strap included for safe carrying
- Red-eye reduction feature included in flash
- Flash cannot be turned off
- Dial can get jammed, causing images to get missed
The Halina Tegra AF290 (link to Amazon) is an easy-to-use and simple camera perfect for family fun. The autofocus 28mm lens gives you angles to catch all images and the built-in flash is automatic.
There is also a panoramic function to catch wider scenic pictures. The LCD display and counter let you easily keep track of how many images you have left. Check out the specs and reviews on Amazon to see why people love this camera.
When you go on vacation, packing a camera is one of the most essential elements. The best point and shoot 35mm camera will make sure every moment is captured. Letting the kids take a few pictures too will only add to the memories.
There is nothing like the feel of a real film camera in this digital world. You are the photographer and you are in control. These top-rated cameras are available on Amazon and are guaranteed to catch every happy moment for you to treasure for years to come.