You love the convenience that wheels add to getting your luggage to and fro, but do you know how to replace spinner wheels on luggage if they are damaged? Wheels can get damaged in travel or worn with wear and tear. It is important to know how to replace them when this happens.
There are several ways to replace spinner wheels on your luggage. You must first check if the wheels are screwed or riveted before you start. Then order the right replacement wheels from the manufacturer. Finally make sure you have the correct tools for the job, which are a screwdriver, an allen wrench and a hacksaw (if you have riveted wheels).
Many people do not mind doing this. Depending on the durability of the luggage you have and how often it is used, the wheels may break more often for some than others. It is a handy trick to know how to replace them, especially if it happens while you are away from home.
We have the scoop for you on how to replace the spinner wheels on your luggage. There are different methods to do this and we provide the step-by-step instructions that you need.
Of course, you may decide the work is not worth it and it is just time for some new luggage. In that case, we also have reviews and a buying guide to make sure you get great luggage for your next trip. Brand new wheels ready to take you wherever you want to go.
Table of Contents
How To Replace Spinner Wheels On Luggage: Step By Step
It can be tempting to throw luggage away once the wheel breaks. However, in most cases replacing the wheels is not too challenging. All you need to know is the brand of luggage and wheel type, and you can replace them by yourself. Only basic handyman skills are needed. Replacing your wheels is also the budget-friendly option in the event you can’t afford new luggage just yet.
1. Get The Luggage Ready
- Wipe the wheels down before replacing them. Dirt and debris can cause them to stop working so make sure that is not the cause first. There may not be a need to replace them at all. Washing the wheels also provides a clean surface that is easier to work with.
- Find a flat surface to work on and turn the luggage over with the wheels facing upwards. You need to determine if the wheels are screwed or riveted because the replacement process will be different. Screwed wheels have small screws on either side and riveted wheels will have a bolt through the center.
- Buy replacement wheels that are for the same model as your luggage. Replacement is better when the wheels are the same as the original. The wrong wheel makes replacement difficult and can cause the luggage to roll unevenly. Contact the manufacturer if you are not sure. Rollerblade wheels work well in a pinch too.
2. How To Replace Spinner Wheels On Luggage
- If the “L” bracket is intact and only the wheel is damaged, you can simply swap out the wheel component.
- Lay your bag on a flat surface.
- Using an allen wrench, remove the wheel component from the “L” bracket by turning the allen wrench counterclockwise.
- Remove the screw and then take off the damaged wheel.
- Remove the new wheel from the new wheelhouse component by repeating the steps above.
- Take the new wheel and place it on the exposed axle.
- Replace the screw and tighten clockwise with allen wrench.
3. How To Replace Standard Luggage Wheels
- Remove all screws from the wheel using a screwdriver. Keep any of the screws that are not damaged in case you need them. Your new wheels will likely come with new screws though.
- A small clip will be attached to a bolt keeping the wheel in place. Remove this to completely remove the wheel.
- Get rid of the old wheel and place the new wheel in its place.
- Once secure, screw it back into the luggage. You will know if you have the wrong wheel because it will either be too tight or too loose.
Please check out the video link below to walk you through the process of replacing a luggage wheel. The steps discussed above will be covered and demonstrated for you to follow.
4. How To Replace Riveted Wheels On Luggage
- You will need a hacksaw to remove these wheels so make sure you have eye protection. These are more difficult to replace, and you may just decide it is easier to buy new luggage.
- Slice through the rivet with your hacksaw and pull it apart, removing wheel, bearings, and washers.
- Use old bearings to keep the replacement wheel in place.
- Slide a 2-inch screw through and add a washer to both sides and tighten.
- If the wheel is loose, you can try to tighten it more or you may have the wrong wheel.
4. How To Replace Double Spinner Wheels On Luggage
Some luggage comes with dual or double wheels as these provide a little more control. To replace these, dual spinner wheels, you need to follow the same steps as with a single wheel.
There will be more screws involved and you still need to remember to order the correct wheel for replacement. Again, if you get riveted wheels, be warned that it is a more challenging process and more tools and effort are required.
How To Replace Wheels On Samsonite Luggage
Samsonite is one of the leading names in luggage, so if you have a Samsonite case, you need to know how to change those wheels.
Look at the wheels from inside by unzipping the suitcase liner. Hopefully there are screws and not rivets. If there are rivets, you can follow the instructions above, or simply get a new suitcase. It depends on how much effort you want to put into changing the wheels. When rivets are involved, it may be easier to get new luggage.
Make sure you buy new wheels from Samsonite. You need to request wheels that are for the same make and model of luggage you have. If the model has been discontinued, ask the manufacturer if there are other wheels that will work. For very old luggage, there might not be an option, and you should consider getting new bags.
If you are able to get replacement wheels, remove the wheels by removing the bolt and clips that hold it in place. Once the new wheels are in place you attach them in the same way you unscrewed them but in reverse.
If replacing the wheels seems too challenging or you are unable to get replacement wheels, we recommend buying new Samsonite luggage. The top Samsonite pick for luggage with wheels is the Samsonite Winfield 2 Hardside Expandable Luggage with Spinner Wheels that can be found on Amazon.
This 3-piece set is perfect for travel because it meets all size requirements for carry-on luggage. Samsonite stands by their brand by giving a 10-year warranty and the TSA locks will deter theft and make sure only TSA agents can get in your bags. The multi-directional spinner wheels make it easy to get through the airports and the tough exterior shell will keep all your belongings safe.
Customers brag about their Samsonite Winifeld Luggage, specifically the tough, water-resistant shell. It may get some scratches, but the brushed pattern keeps them from being overly obvious. The large pockets, interior divider, and oversized zippers are all popular features. The TSA locking system gives people relief when they travel, as only TSA agents can get in. No need to worry about thefts.
People rave about the durability of this luggage claiming to have thrown it onto busses and dragged it along bumpy roads. With easy organization you can fit a lot in your bags for business or pleasure. Reviews support how much customers enjoy all the packing space, clear organization, and straps to keep everything in place. No matter where you travel, this is great luggage to have by your side
Top 6 Best Luggage With Spinner Wheels
With the steps and guides we provided; you can decide to replace your spinner wheels when they break. This may not seem so daunting with screwed wheels. But, if you have luggage with riveted wheels, you may want another option. You may also want an alternative if your luggage is old and you are unable to get replacement wheels. The best alternative is to get new luggage.
Now that you are ready to get some new luggage, we have the best luggage finds on Amazon already here for you. In addition to the Samsonite Winfield 2 Hardside Expandable Luggage above, there are six more top options below that we recommend. There is guaranteed to be a style, design, color, and price to suit everyone.
1. Kenneth Cole Reaction Out Of Bounds 20-Inch Carry-On
This durable hard-shell case is lightweight and perfect for traveling light (link to Amazon). Meeting the measurement requirements for carry-on luggage, this bag goes where you go. The 360-degree spinner wheels get this bag around all terrain and the molded side feet keep it standing up when needed.
From Kenneth Cole you get function and fashion rolled into one with the Reaction luggage. Offered as single pieces or as a set, these are affordable for a name brand. Fully lined compartments keep your stuff organized, straps keep it all in place, and the zipper pockets are perfect for small items. The handle is made from aluminum, durable to last and collapses easily for a more compact shape.
2. Travelpro Platinum Elite-Softside Expandable Spinner Wheel Luggage
A favorite for airline crews, this Travelpro is more expensive, but a reliable piece of luggage that will last for all your travels (link to Amazon). It meets FAA size regulations to use as a carry-on and the PowerScope handle and Magnatrac wheels make it a breeze to move through airports, train stations, and through towns.
A USB port is available for your power banks or devices and you get a lifetime warranty that covers any damage caused by an aircraft carrier. You can pack suits and regular clothes wrinkle-free and it comes equipped with a TSA-approved wet pocket for toiletries. The durable and tough DuraGuard case is scratch resistant, so it is tough enough to go anywhere. Grab one before your next vacation. It is available in 6 color choices.
3. Rockland Melbourne Hardside Expandable Spinner Wheel Luggage
Made from lightweight yet durable ABS, this luggage is one of the best for traveling light (link to Amazon). Multi-directional spin wheels make it easy to tote behind you and maneuver through busy airports. You have more than enough space to pack what you need without worrying about unpleasant surcharges for weight.
An affordable option for your travels to keep things light and safe. There are several over a dozen colors to choose from so you can complement your style.
4. Travelpro Crew Versapack-Softside Expandable Spinner Wheel Luggage
There are two options for carry-on from Travelpro (link to Amazon) and both fit in airplane bins and meet flight requirements. You have a zip-garment compartment as well as the option to buy additional zip-in organizers if needed. An external USB port gives you power wherever you are.
These bags are easy to travel with. A PowerScope extension handle is easy to grip and the bag glides easily, so there is minimal effort needed to control the luggage. The wheels align magnetically, so the luggage is always balanced as it rolls. The Travelpro bags are a favorite of airline crews.
5. Wrangler 20″ Smart Spinner Carry-On Luggage
Wrangler is known for their reliable and long-lasting jeans. So, you know you can count on their luggage too. Another affordable option for new luggage (link to Amazon), this lightweight and expandable set is perfect for travel. You even get a cup holder, USB port, and phone holder at the back of the luggage.
The wheels rotate 360-degrees so the bag maneuvers right along with you and you have the option to expand the size in case you need extra space. A push-button locking system keeps your belongings secure. Choose from four colors and you can buy it in single pieces or a set.
6. High Sierra At7 Upright Wheeled Rolling Duffel Bag
For those who prefer the look of a duffel bag (link to Amazon), this is the luggage for you. This versatile travel option allows you to use it as a rolled bag, a duffel bag, or a backpack. The handle retracts easily and locks away when not needed. Made with a high-density foam structure the bag keeps its shape, is durable, and lightweight.
Inline skate-style rolling wheels make it easy to maneuver and it glides behind you with minimal effort. Use the divider to have several compartments or roll it up to give one large compartment. The drop-down lower compartment is great for bulky items like shoes. This sports-like luggage is great for all travel.
My Related Travel Articles:
How Much Does It Cost To Replace Wheels On Luggage
Buying luggage repair parts is cheaper than new luggage, but you have to factor in how much effort is required as well as how long it takes to get the parts and fix the wheels. Replacement wheels can cost around $25.00 for a set but this can vary by brand and availability. You can opt to take your luggage to a repair shop, and they will charge for parts as well as up to $100 for labor. You can also choose to replace the wheels yourself or buy new luggage.
Helpful Tips On How To Replace Spinner Wheels On Luggage
It is disappointing when luggage wheels break, but it does happen. You have the option to replace the wheels and we have provided steps on how to do this. Important tips to remember when replacing wheels include:
- Ordering the right wheel from the manufacturer
- Check if the wheels are screwed or riveted before you start
- Make sure you have the right tools for the job
You should also evaluate how old the luggage is. Is it worth replacing the wheels? Are you able to get replacements or is the model too old? If you feel it is not worth replacing the broken wheels, then there are several great options above for new luggage to buy.
Nobody is happy when the wheels on luggage break. The wheels are designed to make travel easy and effortless. A broken wheel only makes things harder.
You have several options when it comes to broken luggage wheels. You can replace them yourself, ordering parts, and performing the required steps. Chances are if the wheels broke, the luggage has already been around for a while. You can opt to just treat yourself to some new luggage, then treat yourself to a new vacation.